What is the Ancient Forest? Watch this 1.40min video. It’s an enchanted heart and soul of the planet – Some trees are even 1000 years old.
Look, I know this is a little tree-huggy and hippy. But honestly, indigenous forests are one of the most valuable things on the planet. Literally. Think primary school biology class and the eco-system lesson. Alien vegetation, whilst also oxygen producing, usually leeches more water than it needs and isn’t in harmony with the animals and bacteria that need the local trees to flourish. Basically. We need to stop being dicks and start worrying more about our natural forests.
Plus, it’s an amazing place to visit and return to your Apocalypto style roots.
PLEDGE R150 TO PLANT #TREES4HOPE AT PLATBOS… AND GROW AN INDIGENOUS FOREST THIS FESTIVE SEASON!
INSTEAD OF BUYING A PLASTIC TREE OR CUTTING DOWN A LIVING ONE TO DECORATE YOUR HOME OR OFFICE, INVEST IN OUR FUTURE WITH TREES FOR TOMORROW! LET’S CELEBRATE THIS FESTIVE SEASON A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY…
The tradition of Christmas trees is rooted in pre-Christian times where the Northern Hemisphere‘s winter solstice (December 21st) marked the shortest day and longest night. In the frozen heart of midwinter, evergreen trees became beacons of life and hope in an otherwise bleak landscape.
This year, to celebrate the festive season and off-set the ‘cost’ of Christmas Trees felled for decoration, pledge to plant #trees4hope. Your R150 per tree will help reforest the ancient Platbos Forest.
Your Pledge Counts.
Your R150.00 goes towards:
– sustainable hand harvesting of tree seedlings in Spring from the forest floor
– two years of intensive nurturing in the forest nursery to produce a strong, healthy sapling
– long hard hours of hand-clearing invasive, alien vegetation
– the costly process of creating wood chip from cleared invader trees to cool the soil and prevent moisture loss
– actual planting of the tree, done lovingly by hand during the wet winter season
– on-going maintenance of the reforestation stand until it forms an integral part of the forest canopy
Each tree represents a square meter of future canopy, strengthening the forest and creating a habitat for creatures large and small: wild bees, bushbuck, honey badgers, porcupines, birds, leopards and leopard toads.
If you would like to calculate how many #trees4hope are needed to offset your carbon footprint, you can do so here.
With every #tree4hope pledged, you’ll automatically be entered into the competition to win a magical 2 night getaway for two to Platbos’ Honey Bee forest suite. You can also enter by
– liking Platbos Forest Reserve on Facebook, tag five friends and share the official competiton photo on your timeline.
– following @PlatbosForest and RT-ing official #trees4hope competition tweets
How to Pledge a Tree:
You can pay for your R150 tree in 2 ways:
1. Directly via EFT:
Platbos Conservation Trust
Nedbank Cheque/Current Account
Account Number: 1820009467
Branch Code: 198765
Use #trees4hope as your reference
2. Via credit/debit card, Payfast here:
Please email proof of payment, your name and surname or company/organisation and a brief dedication to email@example.com and they will mail you a personalized certificate – and automatically enter you into the competition.
Christmas tree/presents: Sorted.
Tune into my weekly radio show this coming Friday the 28th November on 2oceansviberadio from 1-3pm here. We’ll have Jon and Skye from Platbos in studio, talking more about the initiative and the COMPETITION!
*High five for hugging trees!*