So, many of you may or may not have noticed the hashtag #BudgetChallenge popping up on twitter the last week. It’s the latest thing by moneysmart. They are running a ‘challenge’ where we have to ‘budget’ for a week (see where they got the name? So clever.)
The raddest parts of this Challenge are :
1. They couriered each of us our own bank cards in a fancy box, with R1 500 on each card. My bank card is from FNB (I believe they are all from different banks) and mine is SILVER. I’m too broke and or lame to have ever qualified for a SILVER bank card. A silver ANYTHING (Unless you count sterling-silver knives and forks on Christmas day at my Nanna’s house, and even then, she doesn’t trust me alone with them…) So now I get to flash that around instead of my colourful student-account that I’m still pretending to qualify for.
2. There are 10 Journalists competing. We have to survive for a week on this R1 500, whilst sticking to a budget we set up in 9 categories on the moneysmart website.
3. They called me a “journalist”.
4. The winner gets to donate R10 000 to the charity of their choice. My chosen charity is ‘Put Foot Chicks’ which feeds directly into Project Rhino. Rhinos are getting massacred and whilst we can all shout, scream and stamp our feet – it’s not going to change anything. Project Rhino, however, are putting more men on the ground, more ‘car-guards’ if you will. Training them to better protect this vastly dwindling species. (look I got to use ‘dwindling’ in a sentence. It looks wrong, but has managed to escape the dreaded red spell-check line, I think this is a high for today.)
5. The winner gets to SAY they were the winner. Bragging rights trump a free car. Well, no, that’s a lie. I’d love a free car. But failing that, bragging rights come a close second to real free stuff.
6. By clicking ‘like’ on my profile on the facebook page you earn me (and the rhinos) points. By tweeting ANYTHING about the #BudgetChallenge and including my twitter handle (@YesReallyAngel – but you KNEW that… *side eye*) or simply by commenting on the facebook moneysmart challenge, and including my name in the comment… you EARN ME (and the rhinos) POINTS! Easy Peasy.
Do your good deed for the day. Imagine being a granny or grandpa, going to a game reserve and seeing the awe on your grandkid’s face as they see that real live rhino. Yup. You helped save them. Because YOU helped win R10 000 for Project Rhino.
Truth. You can sleep soundly in the knowledge that YOU are responsible for that joy you see sparkling in your future, hypothetical and potential grand-kids’ eyes. Now WHY would you want to deprive them of seeing a real live rhino? Why would you do that? You’re not heartless and mean are you? No. You’re not. I know you’re not. That’s why you’re gonna go vote for ME. For the Rhinos. For your Grandkids.
So get voting quickly and ‘Help me, help you!’ Cheesy movie quotes aside… click on the screen grab below. It will take you through to moneysmart’s facebook. Then click on the ‘Budget Challenge’ link… Find the page that looks like the one below, and LIKE ME. Yes, Like me. Because I love you. “You had me at Hello.”
Or just tweet it. Easy peasy and SHOW ME THE MONEY!
*Random High Five to moneysmart for this awesome idea!*